The Contest Rules
1: Make a short (up to 1.5 minutes) video, in English, to include the following components:
• Start by asking the question: “Why speak Chinese?”
• Introduce yourself and explain why you’re learning Chinese.
• Tell us something else you’re passionate about (aside from studying Chinese)
• End your video by saying: “我会中文，你呢?”
2: Post your video on Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter. Make sure you hashtag it #WhySpeakChinese.
• Instagram accounts must be public order to be eligible and must include the hashtag #WhySpeakChinese.
• Twitter accounts must be public in order to be eligible and must include the hashtag #WhySpeakChinese and tag @AsiaSocietyEDU.
• Facebook accounts must be public order to be eligible and must include the hashtag #WhySpeakChinese.
3: Fill out and submit the contest form and include the link from your video.
4: Get as many of your friends and family as you can to “like” your video!
How winners will be selected:
1. All entries must be posted and hash-tagged with contest form submitted by May 12, 2018 11:59pm EST
2. Four finalist videos will be chosen: two ‘top liked’ videos and two ‘staff picks’.
3. A final vote via Facebook Live on May 17th will determine the grand prize winner!
Facebook Live Voting
Videos will be voted on via Facebook Live on May 17th on the Center for Global Education at Asia Society Facebook page. The video that receives the most votes on Facebook Live of these 4 is the grand prize winner.
Grand Prize Winner: The grand-prize winner will receive two round-trip flights to China.
The final grand-prize winner isn’t the only one with a chance to win. You can win along the way.
• Every Wednesday, we will select lucky giveaway winners for #whySpeakChinese t-shirts or free gifts from Chineasy.
• Every Saturday, we will select a ‘Staff Pick of the Week’ and he/she will receive a free gift.
The Contest is open to all Mandarin learners* who are:
– Non-native speakers**
– Over 12 years of age
– Legal residents of their respective countries, where not prohibited by law.
* This includes formal (e.g., enrolled in a class) and non-formal (private tutor, independent learning with apps, books, etc.). Employees of Asia Society and their immediate families are not eligible.
** This includes heritage speakers (students who speak Chinese at home/with family, but do not consider Mandarin as their native language). Heritage speakers are eligible for the contest.
Videos created under a video professional’s supervision will be disqualified. Asia Society reserves the right to reject work deemed unsuitable for publication or that does not meet above criteria.
One submission per learner
Multiple entries from the same individual will result in disqualification of all entries. You can appear in someone else’s video, but if that video wins, the submitter gets the prize.
One submitter per video
Each video may only have one submitter attributed to it. This is the person who will receive a prize if selected. Anyone else in the video is not eligible for prizes awarded to this entry.
Videos must be no longer than one minute thirty seconds in total length. Videos exceeding this length will not be considered.
Videos/entrants will be disqualified if Asia Society, in its sole discretion, suspects the entrant tampers or attempts to tamper with the entry process, or tamper with the voting process on any social media platform, including but not limited to buying ‘likes’, or further tamper with the operation of the contest or website
If you are under 18 and are selected for the grand prize, your travel companion must be over 18 and a legal guardian or authorized in writing by a legal guardian to accompany you.
Grand-prize winner will not exceed two persons. Each grand-prize winner will receive two round-trip flights between any US city and any Mainland Chinese city, with a maximum of one connecting flight in each country.
All online video submissions must be received by 11:59 PM U.S. Eastern Time on Saturday, May 12, 2018, unless otherwise extended by Asia Society. Voting will end by May 17, 2018.
Asia Society reserves the right, in its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the contest for any reason, including but not limited to a virus, bugs, non-authorized human intervention, fraud or other causes beyond its control corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness or proper conduct of the contest. In such case, Asia Society may select the recipients from all eligible entries received prior to and/or after (if appropriate) the action taken by Asia Society.
Entries and other submitted material become the property of Asia Society and will not be acknowledged or returned.
Asia Society reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any individual who tampers or attempts to tamper with the entry process or the operation of the contest or website or violates the Terms.
By participating, you agree to be fully unconditionally bound by these Terms and you represent and warrant that you meet the eligibility requirements set forth herein.
In addition, you agree to accept the decisions of Asia Society, as final and binding as it relates to the content.
Winner selection and notification: Winners of the competition will be selected under the supervision of Asia Society. Winners will be notified via the platform they entered the contest within five (5) days following the winner selection and announcement. Asia Society shall have no liability for a winner’s failure to receive notices due to winners’ spam, junk e-mail or other security settings or for winners’ provision of incorrect or otherwise non-functioning contact information. If the selected winner(s) cannot be contacted, is ineligible, fails to claim the prize within 15 days from the time award notification was sent, or fails to timely return a completed and executed declaration and releases as required, prize may be forfeited and alternate winner(s) selected.
Prizes are considered taxable income regardless of whether the prize is in the form of cash, trips or merchandise. If a prize is valued over $600, Asia Society must report the value to winner and the Internal Revenue Service on a Form 1099-MISC. If the prize is valued under $600, the winner is responsible for reporting to the Internal Revenue Service and paying the appropriate tax.